For urgent assistance, or to request that police make an application on your behalf, contact 9222 1111 (Police Headquarters) or 13 1444 (local Police station).
Information on court processes is available on the Magistrates Court of Western Australia page.
For legal advice or assistance
Contact your solicitor
The Legal Aid Domestic Violence Legal Unit on 1300 650 579. They also have an information sheet: About your safety
Your nearest Community Legal Centre can be found here
Aboriginal Legal Service Phone: 1800 019 900 Website: Aboriginal Legal Service
Women’s Legal Service Phone: (08) 9272 8800 or 1 800 625 122 Website: Women’s Law Centre
Western Australia Police: Family and Domestic Violence
Support for Victims
The Department of Justice offers a number of services for victims of crime.
The Victim Support Service, part of the Department’s Court Services Division, offers a confidential service for victims of crime, and provides flexibility with professional counsellors, trained volunteers, and a network of information and service providers.
The Victim Support Service can:
- provide information on the status of police investigations.
- provide information about court proceedings.
- help write a victim impact statement.
- provide counselling and support either at home or at the office.
- have someone support victims at court.
- provide information about other services and refer you appropriately.
- provide support when making an application for a restraining order.
- help you understand your rights within the criminal justice system.
- help with inquiries about criminal injuries compensation claims.
- provide information on the status of convicted offenders in WA through the Victim Notification Register.
The Department of Justice also offers mediation between victims and offenders through the Victim Offender Mediation Unit, coronial counselling through the Coroner’s Court and comprehensive information on restraining orders and compensation.
Victim Support and Child Witness Service, Department of the Attorney General
District Court Building
Level 2, 500 Hay Street
PERTH WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 9425 2850
Facsimile: (08) 9425 4428
Freecall: 1800 818 988 (outside metro only)
Website: Victims of Crime
Contacts for Department Of Justice